Category - DiaCritique

Teaching “Third World” Literature in the American Classroom: Reflections of a Graduate Instructor

Unofficial statistics: 95% of my students love Chimamanda Adichie’s Americanah. The remaining 5% do not hate it, they only wish it was not as lengthy. On my part, I love teaching Americanah because it allows for such a rich and deep and broad exploration of the immigrant experience. The novel does not tell a single story about immigrants. Rather, it shows the broad spectrum of what constitutes...

DiaCritique: A Collective Review of Kunle Afolayan’s Citation

Kunle Afolayan’s ‘Citation’ collectively reviewed! Just in case you missed it, here’s the instant replay on YouTube! CITATION reviewed   Only a little over a year ago, BBC Africa Eye released a damning documentary about sexual harassment in some West African universities. The documentary ignited widespread passionate denunciation of sexual harassment and...

Exciting new addition to African Writer Magazine!

DiaCritique In DiaCritique, a new addition to African Writer Magazine, we publish (on a rolling basis) thought-provoking reflections by researchers who write about Afro-diasporic literature. We are interested in your everyday thoughts as you navigate the tough but exciting terrain that is literary scholarship. We are looking for nonfiction of any length (preferably 350-1500), in everyday prose...